Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Tools of the Trade

All of us are Artists.  In one way, shape, or form, if you create ANYTHING, in my mind, you're some type of artist.  Maybe that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it.  And maybe that statement will offend some who read it, so let me explain.  I consider myself an Artist because I Create.  I create any number of things, including actual "art"!  (more on that later...)  Because I'm about to create a new life for myself, I feel more than ever that title fits.  And so, for the purpose of my journey and this blog, I shall call myself an Artist and I shall reflect on my ability to Create.  Now that we've established that, let us continue...


Every artist needs tools.  As I meander along creating my life-scape, I anticipate using LOTS of tools.  In fact, I anticipate using just about every possible thing at my disposal.  This will include books, quotes, music, people, activities, practices, yadda yadda yadda.  The list goes on.  And as I utilize a tool, I'll be sharing the deets with you, Dear Reader.


I already know one tool I plan on using and the timing in doing such is perfect!  It's a book called Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban BreathnachSPOILER ALERT:  I already know how it ends.  I've read the book many times, so I already know that a major part of its focus is on gratitude.  And I've already determined that gratitude needs to be first and foremost on my list of focuses at this time.


I've owned numerous copies of this book for many years now.  I think I first purchased it before I was even married, circa 1999.  It was love-at-first-read for me.  So much so that I would happily give the book away to others who spoke of personal struggle, hence creating the need to buy successive copies.


Gratitude can significantly change one's perception of virtually anything!  And this BEMUSED Artist is in dire need of a perception adjustment.  A-ha!  Think I just relocated my bottle of Magic Dust!  Let the liberal sprinkling begin!!


Sarah explains in the preface of her re-published book that Simple Abundance "shared revelations that came while trying to reconcile [her] deepest spiritual and creative longings with often overwhelming commitments to family and work."  Wow!  I couldn't have hit the proverbial nail on the head any better myself!  She also explains that her "daily round had become a tug-of-war between other people's demands and expectations and [her] own genuinely conflicted desires and unrequited needs."  Double Wow!!  Hit it again, Sam!!


Sarah's book is written as a daily read -- one essay for each day of the year (including Leap Year).  She starts it off, naturally, on January 1st.  Fortunately for this Artist, it's December.  And since I currently have a copy in hand, complete with highlighted passages from previous readings of it, I shall cue it up on my lap and be at the ready to re-read it once again come the New Year.

2 comments:

  1. I love this new blog, Danielle. And I must go down to the basement and rummage through the last few boxes of books (only about 15 or so!) and try to find my copy of Simple Abundance. I'm all of a sudden feeling the need to start reading it again starting January 1st. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I'm so glad!!! Please continue to share with me your input, I'm so grateful for it :-)

    ReplyDelete