Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Start Your Engines!

"And now let us welcome the New Year
Full of things that have never been." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke


The New Year is upon us.  Finally!  I've been anxiously waiting for this day to arrive, to really dive head-long into this process of uncovering my Passionate Life.  It's truly a journey within and I'm more ready than ever to take it on!  Got my Goals lined up along with lots of ideas for how to proceed.   


One of those ideas is The Mason Jar of Happy Moments I'm making for myself.  At least, that's what I'm calling it.  I previously saw the idea on Facebook.  You take an ordinary glass mason jar and decorate it, if you're so inclined.  Then throughout the year, when you experience a moment of goodness, you write it on a slip of paper and put it into your jar.  What a great way to jump-start my gratitude!  I like the idea of watching my jar fill up, showing me that things are indeed happening for me to be grateful for.  It's always good to be reminded of the many reasons for gratitude in one's life.  I might even wrangle my son into participating in this one.  He's 8.  Never too early to learn about The Big G!


I'm thinking of being very ritualistic about it too (I loves me some ritual!).  As I'm writing about an experience, I'll send forth gratitude for it.  When I see my jar filling up, I'll send forth more gratitude for all the good coming my way.  And finally, at the end of the year, I'll make a whole New Year's Eve ritual out of reading my slips, re-experiencing the moments, and feeling all kinds of warm and fuzzy gratitude inside all over again.  If life is a reflection of our thoughts and feelings, pulling in that which we put out, then what a great way to invite in extra servings of goodness throughout the year.


Each of us creates our own reality through both our actions and thoughts.  That's a hefty notion to wrap one's brain around.  Sounds easy enough, but it's probably one of the most challenging concepts one could ever embrace.  It's Basic Karma 101.  It's also part and parcel of The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. Remember a few entries back when I spoke of the book, The Secret?  It explains that whenever you send out negative energy, whether through your words, thoughts, or feelings, the Universe will just bring more of that negativity back into your life.  The opposite is also true.  If you think, speak, and feel positive energy, the Universe will draw circumstances, people, and events to you that reflect this positive energy, which basically perpetuates more good to come your way.


There's many writings out there that speak on this topic.  Any religious path, any spiritual path, will regurgitate its own version of this ideal.  For example, another book titled The 21 Lessons of Merlyn says:  "...true magic is 'the art and science of changing states of mind at will.'  And as we have learned from experience, action follows thought."  So basically, if your life is shit, you have no one to blame but yourself



As I've said before, I'm tired of being unhappy.  I've had enough of my old miserable self.  Time to shed that skin and emerge as something new.  I'm coaxing the petals of my floral heart to open and bloom.  My life shall be like the phoenix, rising up from the ashes of all that's gone before me.  It's high time for it too.  As I've mentioned before, I'm approaching a big birthday.  And I find myself more philosophical than ever.  Time waits for no one.  Life is a series of moments.  Time to make those moments count.  Because, in the immortal words of Ferris Bueller:  "Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."




No comments:

Post a Comment