Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Dam Me Up, Beaver

"The time will pass anyway, you can either spend it creating the life you want or spend it living the life you don't want.  The choice is yours."

I had a dream the other night, remembering parts of it when I awoke in the morning.  But then later in the day, my son said something that made an additional memory from the dream come rushing back to me.  It was the memory of seeing a beaver with bright yellow coloring on it walking across my path. 

As kooky as it sounds, I took this as a message of sorts.  Reason being, every once in a while I have powerful thoughts hit me in dreams or in dream-like visions in the early morning hours.  Sometimes I dream of conversations rather than actual physical things.  But every time I have one of these unusual types of dreams, it always seems to be connected to something I'm experiencing or about to experience soon thereafter.

There are those who believe that animals have spiritual significance.  In looking up the spiritual meaning of the beaver, I found it to be uber relevant to exactly where I'm at in this moment.  So yes, I'm taking it as a sign! :)
"Beavers are ingenious builders, orchestrating megalith dams that can change the flowing course of entire rivers.  This impressive aspect along with its association with water makes the beaver an analogy for building up our dreams.  In essence, the beaver tells us to believe in our dreams as if they were real.  Build on them as if the dream is your reality.  Change the course of your life flow by structuring your life with a goal to coax your dreams into your physical reality.  Animal symbolism of the beaver deals with building our lives up around our dreams and working diligently.  It's great to have dreams, but you have to work at them to make them real!"
Pretty powerful, huh!  I have to believe this was a nudge for me to get a move on as I've been slipping into melancholy as of late.  Time to knock that shit off!  As a matter of fact, it might be time for me to re-read Neil Gaiman's keynote address of 2012 to the graduating class of the University of Arts in Philadelphia.  (If you have not seen or heard this, please YouTube it pronto!  You'll be ever so glad you did!!!)  In it, he explains that no matter what happens to you in life, "MAKE GOOD ART."  Sage words right there!  
"...whatever you do you have one thing that's unique.  You have the ability to make art.  And for me, and for so many of the people I have known, that's been a lifesaver.  The ultimate lifesaver.  It gets you through good times and it gets you through the other ones.  Life is sometimes hard.  Things go wrong, in life and in love and in business and in friendship and in health and in all the other ways that life can go wrong.  And when things get tough, this is what you should do.  Make good art.  I'm serious.  Husband runs off with a politician?  Make good art.  Leg crushed and then eaten by mutated boa constrictor?  Make good art.  IRS on your trail?  Make good art.  Cat exploded?  Make good art.  Somebody on the Internet thinks that what you do is stupid or evil or it's all been done before?  Make good art.  Probably things will work out somehow, and eventually time will take the sting away, but that doesn't matter.  Do what only you do best.  Make good art."
And with that in mind, what have I been doing??  I'm ashamed to say not much at the moment now that my theatrical debut is complete.  I was working on some cuttings, but my heart isn't fully into it at the moment.  I have the urge to dabble in botanicals once again, learning more about aromatherapy.  And yet when I get home at night and finish with making supper and whatever else needs attending to, I find I'm too tired to do much else.  So what's a girl to do in order to create her dreams into being?  Not sure yet.  But crashing out on the sofa at night after I put my son to bed isn't helping much either.

"Dreams pass into reality of action.  From action, stems the dream again.  This interdependence produces the highest form of living." ~ Anais Nin

This weekend I need to get my butt on the yoga mat.  I need to stretch my body, refreshing it with oxygen as I breathe deeply into my postures.  I'm sure a bit of cleansing and energizing will go a long way for me at this time.  Let's see if a few nights of some simple evening yoga will start to recharge my battery.  Maybe it'll knock some of the cobwebs loose and get me moving in a new creative direction. 

Take us out, Neil ~

"And now go, and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes.  Break rules.  Leave the world more interesting for your being here.  Make good art."

No comments:

Post a Comment