Friday, January 23, 2015

Jar of Happy Moments

Just a light little entry to introduce my Jar of Happy Moments.  Warning:  I disclosed before that I was going to get all ritualistic about this project, so don't be put off by any wacky talk in my description. :-)

First thing I did was clean the jar of all dust and finger prints, best I could.  I then applied multiple coats of a glass paint  to the outside of the jar.  Wanting to just tint the glass so as to not interfere with seeing its contents, I thinned the paint prior to applying to just a wash.  The jar rested between each coat for an hour.  However, after all coats were applied, it still took days to fully dry.  Even after the first few days, when I would handle it, I found my fingers left faint prints that had to be attended to.  Had I "baked" the jar when the coatings were completed, it probably would have dried much sooner.


Untouched mason jar with crafting tools and accessories at the ready.


The color I chose to tint the glass with was blue, or Azul, per the bottle's label.  I purposefully chose blue because a) it's my favorite color, and b) it's the color that is sometimes known to represent the Third-Eye Chakra.  This chakra is said to be where you intuition and knowing reside.  As I explained before, this jar and its contents are to serve as a reminder for gratitude of the good that comes my way throughout the year.  Choosing the color blue was my way of acknowledging my awareness that I bring to me that which I want, through my actions, thoughts and feelings.  Therefore, I "know" good things shall continually present themselves to me.  There are no doubts within me on this.  I know, like I know, like I know...

While waiting between drying coats of paint, I worked on the lid by applying 2 coats of gold paint.  I wasn't too fussy with this part as it was just a base to fancy up the lid a little more before applying my paper flowers.  Why flowers?  To represent my life and self fully blooming.  In a previous post, I mentioned my friend, Danielle, owner of Discovering Your Goddess.  A few years ago while enjoying a cup of tea at her kitchen table, Danielle gave me encouragement during a bleak time by referencing a quote from Anais Nin:  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."  Such a powerful quote!!!  That night as I was leaving her house, she gave me a magnet from her fridge that had the quote printed on it.  It sticks prominently on my fridge, serving as a reminder of our discussion that day. 

After the paint on the jar was, for the most part, dry, I applied a gold glass paint to some of the detailing seen on the front.  You can't see it too well in the picture, but on the front of the jar is a cluster of fruits and leaves.  I wanted to emphasize this part as a sign of abundance in my life.  So the fruits and the swirly detailing around it were gilted in gold, a color most associated with richness and wealth.

I also attached a paper butterfly to the front of the jar.  Butterflies are said to represent transformation.  My life and self are both being transformed as I recognize with gratitude all the good coming my way.  And it is positioned to fly upward, signifying my upward progression through the year.

Finished jar with a view of the Golden Abundance on the front.

View of my "blooming" from the top.

Stayed tuned to future posts as you will see this jar pictured frequently throughout the year, documenting its progression of filling up with slips of paper, all which will detail many glorious blessings and adventures!!!







2 comments:

  1. I love your jar and all the special care you put into it to make it meaningful to you, Danielle.

    I don't know what's happening with Blogger, but although I followed you just as soon as I knew about your new blog, I'm not getting any updates. I just added it to my blogroll again, so hopefully I'm not going to miss anything in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate that so much! You were kind enough to answer my questions when I was first starting out in blogging and seeking guidance. And your kindness continues with reading my new one. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete